One of the hardest things to do in DCS A-10C is AAR. But that also makes it a bit of a fun challenge. I made a short video of it a while ago. It’s something everyone needs to practice. I’m not the best in the world but I get there with a few goes.
Here’s a short procedure:
- Get ready. The first thing you need to do is get into the pre contact positon. This is formation flying with the tanker
- Take out the petrol cap. You want to open your slip way which will throw the trim out wilTrim trim trim! Flying in formation it’s important to match your speed and then trim your aircraft so it’s at perfectly level flight whilst at that particular speed. As you speed up beyond that point the aircraft will nose up and whilst slower it will nose down. Don’t adjust your trim after it’s in line with the tankers speed.
- When you’re ready, move into the contact position behind the tanker. The boom will move so move in behind and below the tanker. When you’re in position the boom operator will fly the boom into the slipway.
- Keep the boom in the green! This is harder than it looks. Use very small very short bursts of throttle to adjust your position.
- If you lose the connection hit the NWS button to recycle the valves for reconnection.
Categories: Digital Combat Simulation