This package is an ortho-photography scenery package for X-Plane. It will replace ground textures with images derived from aerial photographs that should make the simulator much more immersive.
This package features:
- High quality Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) aerial photos processed at zoom level 17 (a good balance of quality vs size)
- From my testing this scenery has no visible impact on FPS (check image gallery for FPS)
- Intensive photo processing to balance colour, replace patches, for a seamless experience
- Photo editing to remove some building rooftops near airport approaches, for improved immersion
- A much easier installation experience compared with processing your own scenery from Ortho4XP
Risks, Trade-off and Caveats
Please read the instructions carefully. This package is offered warranty free. I take no responsibility if bad things happen.
The main trade off with this package is HDD space. You will need approximately 120GB of HDD space for the North Island of New Zealand. I highly recommend a large Solid State Drive for X-Plane performance. To reduce the download size the package is shipped with JPG images which will convert with a simple batch file you run for each tile. While this requires some effort and time to process, it reduces the download size significantly. You will probably receive an anti-virus caution about running batch files downloaded from the internet. If you open them with a text editor you will see it simply commands the conversion of JPGs to DDS files, like this:
nvcompress.exe image123.jpg nvcompress.exe image124.jpg nvcompress.exe image125.jpg
While a large effort has been made to remove seams and standardise the colour and brightness, there are colour changes and seams that remain.
This package is offered as donation-ware. You may freely download and use this package. If you appreciate the significant effort involved in developing the package you can donate using the PayPal link on this page. Funds will go towards storage, redundancy, creative software subscription renewals and torrent seeding.
Please bookmark this page and share it to any interested parties. DO NOT save or share any direct links below as they may will be replaced without notice.
The only feasible way to distribute this amount of data is through peer-to-peer technology, such as torrent files. Using this technology the files are downloaded from a distributed network of clients. Please seed this torrent if you are fortunate enough to have spare bandwidth to contribute. This will ensure the distribution network becomes viable. If funds allow, I will setup a seed-box to assist with the distribution of the package.
Note: You will need to install a torrent client such as uTorrent.
Add the Torrent file to your torrent client to begin downloading:
North Island: Lyndiman’s Orthophotography NZ North Island Beta 2
South Island: Lyndiman’s Orthophotography NZ South Island Beta 3
North Island Installation Instructions
To reduce the download size, the package will come with JPG format images inside the textures folder inside each tile. You will need to run a batch file in each tile’s texture folder to convert the JPGs to larger DDS files. If you struggle for HDD space you should delete the JPGs from the texture folder after converting them to DDS to free space. Once the space is freed up you can convert the next folder to DDS and repeat.
- Unzip the package. You should see this folder list comprised of each scenery tile and an overlay folder
- Navigate into the folder ‘zOrtho4XP_-35+172’
- Navigate into the sub-folder ‘textures’
- Double click on the file ‘Convert_to_texture_files.bat’
- Wait for the conversion process to complete. This may take some time
- Sort the folder by file type and carefully select and delete the old JPG files
Note: Only delete the .JPGs after they have been successfully converted to .DDS. Do not delete any other files, such as the .PNG mask files.
- Repeat this conversion process with all the ‘zOrtho4XP_’ folders
- Copy all the folders to your ‘X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery\’ folder
- Inside the Custom Scenery folder, open the file ‘scenery_packs.ini’
- Select the bottom of this file and insert this text to reference and order your new scenery
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/yOrtho4XP_Overlays/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-35+172/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-35+173/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-36+173/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-36+174/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-37+173/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-37+174/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-38+174/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-37+175/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-38+175/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-38+176/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-38+177/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-38+178/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-40+177/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-42+176/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-39+174/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-39+175/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-39+176/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-39+177/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-39+178/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-40+173/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-40+174/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-40+175/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-40+176/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-41+174/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-41+175/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-41+176/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-42+174/ SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-42+175/
Lyndiman’s New Zealand Orthophotography © 2017. The imagery within this package has been derived from open sources and modified heavily. No part of this package may be reproduced or redistributed as part of other work in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of the copyright owner.